Aug 30, 2014

My Veggie Patch




My Veggie Patch

I used to have a small veggie patch when the children were little and we lived in the hills in South Australia.

Here in Queensland gardening is a whole new ball game, as they say.

As we really only have 2 seasons.. Wet & Dry.. I'm still working out when to plant what!

The one thing I know for sure is... as much as I love home grown tomatoes, I will not be growing them in Summer! The fruit-fly just can't keep away from them! It's such a shame, but I'll just have to come up with another way of growing them... perhaps after the heat of summer?

Oh well, fortunately there are loads of other vegetables that can be grown most of the year round.

I live in a sub-tropics so we can grow a lot of our vegetables all year round.  However, it is advisable not to sow seeds directly into the garden beds in winter as they need warmth to germinate. Sowing seeds in seedling trays and keeping them covered indoors seems to be working ok though.

Check out the progression of my veggie patch, starting May 2012...
 
May 2012
It was the end of Autumn here in Queensland.

July 2012
Middle of Winter.

PS. It's the 30th of August 2014 already!! Time flies when you're having fun... I'll be updating my garden pics later today... I didn't realise it's been 2 whole years since I last uploaded some new pics of the garden.

My veggie patch has shrunk a little as we put up a shed in the back corner of the garden.
Edith xo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to Mum's Family Recipes! If you have a favourite recipe or any tips or comments you'd like to share on this blog... you are most welcome to leave them in the comments box and I will publish them (once I've made sure they are spam free :)) Have a great day!